In the winter months, North Lake Tahoe transforms into a beautiful, snowy wonderland! This region boasts gorgeous snow-covered mountains, stunning lakefront views, and the perfect weather conditions for a wonderful getaway. Whether you want to experience the magic of this season from the summit or off the slopes at one of our area’s seasonal events, there’s something for every traveler to do in North Lake Tahoe in the winter. Preview some of our favorite winter activities in North Lake Tahoe on and off the slopes below!
When you’re ready to start planning your winter getaway, request our free North Lake Tahoe Guide. This visitor’s guide is filled with local recommendations on how to spend every season in our area, and includes more information on winter activities in Lake Tahoe!
Top 5 Winter Activities in North Lake Tahoe On & Off the Slopes
North Lake Tahoe Winter Packing List
Packing for a vacation to an area you’ve never visited before can be tricky, especially when you’re planning a trip to California. This is because packing lists to our state for trips during the winter months can vary greatly depending on which region you’re visiting.
Your Northern California packing list should include the following items:
- Reusable water bottle
- Multiple layers
- Winter coat
- Snow boots
1. Downhill Skiing and Snowboarding
When you think of winter in North Lake Tahoe, skiing is one of the first activities that come to mind. Check out some of the best ski resorts in the North Lake Tahoe area:
- Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows are two of the most popular, and for a good reason. They offer long, steep runs as well as moderate terrain that’s more accessible for beginners. It’s an excellent resort if you’re traveling with a group of people of all skill types. This mountain resort also offers an Olympic Ice Pavilion Rink.
- Homewood Mountain Resort is better suited for new skiers, with smoother runs and gorgeous views.
- Mt. Rose has the highest elevation of all the resorts in the North Lake Tahoe area. They have more than 60 trails and three terrain parks.
- Northstar is another excellent family-friendly resort. With 3,1000 skiable acres of well-maintained land, you’ll have no trouble finding the perfect trail or slope for your day of fun. Northstar Resort also has an ice-skating rink and trails for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing. It’s the ideal place for family activities in North Lake Tahoe!
If you’re searching for a ski lease, you’re in luck. We offer rentals in Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows, Tahoe City, Truckee, and North Lake Tahoe! You’ll find a wide variety of properties and fantastic amenities. Best of all, you’ll be able to find dog-friendly ski lease rentals!
Feel the rush of zooming through the snow! Consider renting a snowmobile to explore the backcountry of North Lake Tahoe with the following tour companies:
- Coldstream Adventures is an excellent option for beginners. They offer two-hour tours of beautiful Truckee terrain. If you’re celebrating a special occasion, consider booking one of their private adventures!
- Eagle Ridge Snowmobile Outfitters offers two to four-hour tours that include time on their trails as well as their “play areas,” which allow riders to go off-trail and experiment. You can also book a two-day tour, which is the ultimate snowmobile excursion!
3. Cross-Country Skiing
Cross-country skiing is an excellent option for hikers looking for the perfect winter activity. It’s easy to learn, and since you’re able to set your own pace, you’ll get to choose between a leisurely stroll or a nice day of exercise. Below are some of our favorite spots for cross-country skiing:
- Tahoe City Cross Country is an excellent choice. They have 21 trails that offer stunning views of Lake Tahoe, as well as eight kilometers of dog-friendly trails! Add to that their friendly staff and their warming huts with hot chocolate and tea available, and it’s no wonder why Tahoe City Cross Country is a local favorite.
- Tahoe Donner Cross Country Ski Center is another great option with the accolades to prove it! It has been voted the best cross-country ski center in North Lake Tahoe and Truckee by the Sierra Sun and one of the top three Cross Country Ski Resorts by USA Today. They feature over 100 kilometers of ski and snowshoe trails which are regularly maintained by their state-of-the-art grooming machines.
- Royal Gorge has some of the most beautiful views in the region. They offer a wide range of skiing experiences, from traditional to more modern skate skiing. They also have a fantastic selection of dog-friendly trails. Enjoy gliding through a winter wonderland when you visit!
Winter Off the Slopes
With so many world-class ski resorts in North Lake Tahoe, it’s no wonder that skiing, snowboarding, and snowmobiling are the most popular winter activities in North Lake Tahoe. However, winter sports aren’t for everyone. If you’re traveling with a skier or snowboarder, but aren’t interested in hitting the slopes yourself, check out these winter activities off the slopes!
Snowfest is one of the biggest Tahoe City events of the year — and doesn’t require any athletic ability! This 10-day festival features a variety of different events that benefit local the local North Lake Tahoe community. During this time, locals and visitors alike can attend block parties, parades, fireworks shows, contests, and more!
5. WinterWonderGrass Festival
Vibe to groovy tunes with local brews at the WinterWonderGrass Festival! This weekend-long festival features good-for-the-soul music like bluegrass and Americana. This year’s lineup features more than a dozen talented artists. There’s no better pairing than great mountain views and even better tunes! WinterWonderGrass Festival also highlights North Lake Tahoe breweries and other vendors.
Stay With Tahoe Moon Properties
Are you ready to enjoy these fantastic winter activities in North Lake Tahoe? The first step is booking a home with Tahoe Moon Properties. We’ve got the best selection of rentals in the region, from small cabins to larger houses. Are you looking for dog-friendly accommodations or a rental with a hot tub? We’ve got both!
When you book with Tahoe Moon Properties, you’ll enjoy more than just comfortable accommodations in a gorgeous setting. You’ll also have the combined knowledge of our fantastic staff, all of whom are locals. There’s no better resource for things to do in North Lake Tahoe than our outstanding employees!